Public speaking can be difficult for anybody. But once you have these 7 techniques in your arsenal, the success of your public speaking will significantly improve.
- Grab your audience’s attention using a hook (i.e. personal story, fact, joke, etc.) at the beginning of your speech.
- Always be enthusiastic!
- Preview your content. Make sure the audience knows what you will be discussing in your speech.
- Make eye contact. This is a great way to keep your audience engaged.
- Vary your voice (i.e. pitch, volume, pace, pauses) in order to emphasize certain aspects of your speech.
- Avoid filter words such as ummm, like, etc. If you need to recollect your thoughts pause and think about what you will say next before continuing your speech.
- Use body language purposefully. Use hand gestures to emphasize some of your points, but DO NOT over do it!