Public speaking can be difficult for anybody. But once you have these 7 techniques in your arsenal, the success of your public speaking will significantly improve.
- Grab your audience’s attention using a hook (i.e. personal story, fact, joke, etc.) at the beginning of your speech.
- Always be enthusiastic!
- Preview your content. Make sure the audience knows what you will be discussing in your speech.
- Make eye contact. This is a great way to keep your audience engaged.
- Vary your voice (i.e. pitch, volume, pace, pauses) in order to emphasize certain aspects of your speech.
- Avoid filter words such as ummm, like, etc. If you need to recollect your thoughts pause and think about what you will say next before continuing your speech.
- Use body language purposefully. Use hand gestures to emphasize some of your points, but DO NOT over do it!
Elite Private Tutors is a world-class tutoring service helping students in Math tutoring, English tutoring, History tutoring, Spanish tutoring, SAT tutoring, Science Tutoring, ACT tutoring, ISEE tutoring, and much more. We deliver concierge-level service and are a boutique agency located in Houston, Texas. Please click here for more information.
The Four Year Plan is a book and online course that will help students get into the college of their dreams. Plan your strategy to get into your dream college, learn how to make your college application stand out, draft the perfect college essay, and more insider secrets and strategies from our college consultants. Click here for an easy, step-by-step plan for applying to colleges and writing your college essays.